This month's Yogi Surprise box is all about spring cleaning, which I love. Lately I've been working on projects around the house to declutter and organize, and I'm noticing that afterward I feel a sense of accomplishment, and I feel more at ease and more focused when I'm working.
Do you do spring cleaning at this time of year, yogis? Here are my top five spring cleaning projects to do.
5 Simple Spring Cleaning Projects
- Donate old clothes. Go through your closet and find clothing that no longer fits or that you don't use much. Give it to friends, family, or Goodwill.
- Scrub your yoga mat. Give your mat a good deep cleaning. See below for some great mat spray ideas, or just use a simple vinegar, water and essential oil mix. Enjoy practicing on a clean surface that's inviting :)
- Declutter one room at a time. If you've only got 15 minutes to spend cleaning up or organizing, be efficient with your time. Focus on one area of a room until it's complete, then move on to the next.
- Clean your fridge. Also consider cleaning up your diet for a few days, incorporating more fresh fruits and vegetables, drinking a smoothie for breakfast every day, or taking a break from alcohol. Write down some new recipes. Commit to a new health goal, and give yourself permission to be imperfect in the process of accomplishing it!
- Write about what it's like when things are clean and uncluttered. What does it feel like to have this new space? What happens to your thoughts and emotions when your physical space is well taken care of?
My two favorite items from the March Yogi Surprise box, which are also helping with my spring cleaning:
The Little Red Book of Yoga Wisdom, edited by Kelsie Besaw
This little book has lots of great yoga quotes. I like opening it to a random page in the morning for an idea to ponder, or an idea for themes for when I'm about to teach a class. My two favorites this week:
Let your practice be a celebration of life.
- Seido Lee DeBarros
Mindfulness helps you go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes.
- Thich Nhat Hahn
I like the idea that spring cleaning also declutters your mind, and this little book is a daily reminder of that!
Gypsy Soul Organics Aromatherapeutic Natural Yoga Mat Cleaner
This stuff smells amazing, and it works so well at making my mat feel clean after a sweaty class! Highly recommend it.
Best of luck with all your spring cleaning projects, and feel free to suggest more ideas in the comments below :)
PS More spring cleaning ideas:
Spring cleaning tips, room by room.
And a post on how cleaning at the yoga studio is like a form of meditation.